Thursday, February 1, 2007

A is for AAA

My last name begins with A. I grew up being first.

This might sound good, but it wasn’t so great for a serious introvert. At school, I was always at the top of the list. In matters that involved everyone in an orderly fashion, I had to go first. Sometimes it felt good to get it over with. Other times I was the clueless one trying to keep from humiliating myself, having no one ahead of me to learn from, right or wrong. As someone longing for invisibility, first wasn’t usually fun.

Freshman year of college, I was second. But by the end of the year, the first disappeared into anorexia (another A) and never came back.

I moved to Vermont a dozen years ago and promptly became first on the voter roster. In a town that still votes an Australian ballot in pencil, I loved directing the local poll workers to my name at the top. Finally, in adulthood, I’d found a place where I liked being first.

Nearly two years ago, my sister bought a house here. She recently made Vermont her primary residence and works in New York City three days a week. Tuesday is a New York day. When she went to town hall to pick up an absentee ballot, I went with her.

It was there that the downside of her move became abundantly clear.

My sister’s name is Alison. Even her middle name begins with A. My position has been utterly usurped.

She’s almost three years younger. It’s not fair.

11 comments:

Sewa Yoleme said...

If you burn down her house, maybe she'll move to a different town.

I've never been first. I'm not last, but I have to wait a LONG time before my name is called. Well, I used to wait. Now I don't wait much, because my name is seldom if ever called....{sob}

Indigo Bunting said...

I'm sorry, and you are...?

Sewa Yoleme said...

Ha!

Bitch.

Unknown said...

Does your sister still harbour odd ideas around the mating practices of camels? (Is this the same sister?)

Glad you're still blogging, Indigo. I'd miss your online presence.

Helen said...

You might want to consider taking your sister to a numerologist, where they give you a list of names that are most suitable for someone with her birthdate, or something like that. I'm betting "Alison" won't be on the list. She'll probably have to change her name to Xanthesta.

- Christine said...

Just when you think everything's been worked out...life tips over your sock drawer!

Indigo Bunting said...

Nate: Do give us more wedding details.

Maureen: Same sister—only sister. We both cameled up at Christmas with some good gifts.

Helen: Xanthesta. She kind of looks like a Xanthesta! (I better look that up.)

FRA: I'll have to remember that saying. Missed you skating today. For the first 15 minutes, I had the rink to myself! (You don't want to know what happened after that. Maybe a good day to miss.)

Perston said...

I'm still around. Since Christmas, I haven't really been in my groove. Anyways, I dunno when I'll get back to the 365 project. But then, I'm in no rush, either. I love starting projects just so I can put them on a backburner somewhere. I'm kinda capricious with new projects.

Deloney said...

Indigo is trilling again.

Cedar Waxwing said...

I was never first when the queue was based on last names, but I was always first when it was based on height. That is until Sandy Schultz arrived at our school and was placed in my class.

Exciting to see your new blog, Indigo.

Hey - no fair giving me a eight letter captcha. I always fail at those long ones...

Indigo Bunting said...

CW: Sometimes I fail at the short ones. Also: Were you first because you were tall or short?